Thursday, May 12, 2016

On Summer

I'm not a fan of summer.

Since leaving Delaware at the ripe age of 10, summers have meant oppressive texas heat and lawn work in said heat.

And some 25 years later, summer still means oppressive texas heat and lawn work in said heat.

During the summer, I've had to focus a great deal of time on family things.  As a full time grad student, with a wife working full time, it means I spend an inordinate amount of time running kids to and from camps.

It also means that I don't get to do a lot of things I love to do in terms of my schooling.  I have to engineer time into my schedule to do things like read, analyze games, and things of that sort.

What I have done is gotten myself invited to two separate academic conferences.

The first - GLS 12 - is in Wisconsin in the middle of August, so it should be downright pleasant.

The second - Videogame Cultures - is in Oxford, England at the beginning of September.  This is extremely exciting and I'll get into it more when I have more than two brain cells to rub together.

You see, I've completed my Masters in Arts and Technology at the University of Texas at Dallas.

The day has been spent at graduation, walking the stage, doing all of that, while coming down with a tremendous head cold.

I feel awful.

And I'm out of bourbon, which is supposed to be great for colds.

I need to go to CostCo tomorrow and get bourbon...

No comments: